What is the best approach on tracking weather a person's left foot or right foot is currently in contact with a treadmill using a camera from behind the treadmill?
Here is the approach I am taking after the helpful direction. The results are average and produce some false positives. Especially when the right foot gets over into the left side of the ROI. Any tips on improving my results would be greatly appreciated.
Camera feed is 640x480 at 15 FPS
- Convert image to grayscale
- Gaussian blur the gray image with a 3x3 kernel and sigma x of 1
- Focusing the procession on the ROI shown bellow
- Using BackgroundSubtractorMOG2 in order to detect motion within the ROI (Shadow Detection: false, Learning Rate: 0.05)
- Opening morphology 3x3 structure, center anchor, 2 iterations on ROI.
- Sum non zero pixels on the left half and sum non zero on right half of ROI to determine left foot or right foot.